Birds are a symbol of freedom. Extending their wings, they soar across the open sky. Not just birds are free-spirited but also posses a variety of other qualities such as commitment and loyalty. Bird tattoos are one of the best ways to portray their embodiment qualities that have been universally understood and have inspired humans since immemorial time.
There are countless species of birds, for example, eagle crows, vultures, falcon and many more and each of them symbolises something unique and positive. Birds are the perfect metaphor to display feelings and life. These flying creations of god are beautiful examples of eternal hope and divine beauty. They represent different ages of life and are also best for those who are looking for inspiration within. All human emotions such as love, faith, devotion and humanity can be depicted through bird tattoos.
Ducks are a symbol of loyalty as they are incredibly protective to their families.
Tribes consider the feathers of bird representation of medicine and healing.
An eagle’s travel is not restricted to the direction of the wind. This is why it is considered a symbol of bravery and rising from failures.
Mythological bird phoenix represents longevity, power, grace, strength and rebirth.
Humming bird is believed to bestow vitality and strength to those who wear it. Also, it is a representation of love, grace and beauty.
Small-sized lark bird touches humanity through spiritualism and beauty and is a popular tattoo design among European enthusiasts. It is believed to bring good fortune and opportunities.
The owl symbolizes insightful and continuous urge of humans to seek truth and knowledge. Owl represents mystery as well.
For some spiritual beings, the bird’s ability to fly is a representation of the journey of the human soul from current life to the afterlife and free spirit of the soul that transcends.
Geese are an excellent choice to symbolise marital bliss.
In every religion and culture, bird designs are used to symbolise their beliefs.
One more reason that makes bird tattoos accessible is that they are never out of style. They are a good choice if you simply want to focus more on nautical design. Today both men women are seen sporting bird tattoos in different forms because of its artistic design, beautiful colours and excellent designs that look astonishing.
Below are bird-inspired tattoos that represent human traits or values. Get them inked to convey a specific message according to your preference or because they look beautiful on your skin or simply to manifest your love for birds.
62. Watercolor hummingbird done by Alex Coulter at Tattoo Gallery in Huntington Beach
61. My newest tattoo done by Mikey Sarratt at 1912 tattoo studio/Phoenix, Arizona
60. American Redstart by Adam Jackson at Safehouse Tattoo in Nashville, Tennessee
59. My egret done by Aygul from Bright Side Tattoo in Copenhagen.
58. Magpie added to the collection! Done by Joe Friedman at Black Sails Studio; LI, NY
57. Just finished my sugar skull owl and had my old independent cross redone. Thanks to Jacob at Art and Soul in Winnipeg.
56. Great blue heron silhouette done by Todd Aaron Bruce at chameleon ink tattoo and body piercing, super happy with this and its my first tattoo!
55. My second tattoo, unhealed, a raven with a rose, done by Emily Simmons at Big Bear Tattoo in St. Peters Missouri! My first post ever in Reddit, I hope you enjoy the art as much as I did c:
54. Here’s one I got a while back on my calf. I don’t have a healed picture. By Ell Torres at Goldroom in Leeds, England.
53. Odyn’s Raven Hugin by Marika at Alpha Ink Tattoo, Gdynia, Poland
52. A white-throated bee eater on a twig of acacia. Done by Alicia Gory at Grit n Glory in NYC
51. Ruru Owl – Done by Mario Gregor, The Gallery. Wellington, NZ
50. I picked this traditional eagle out of an old flash book @ One Love Tattoo, Prague, by Axel
49. Cactus Wren In flight. Another addition to the soon to be full western sleeve. Done by Landis at Tat-Fu, Flagstaff, AZ.
48. Done by Josué at Las Calaveras tattoo studio in Villagrán, Guanajuato.
47. Fireweed and Magpie by Kevin Furness at Seven Tattoo Studio Las Vegas, NV
46. Cover up on my arm done by Boston Rogoz @ Living Canvas in Tempe, Arizona
45. “Birds in Flight” By Zach Kinsey, Uptown Tattoo Minneapolis
44. Eagle with Dogwood Flowers by Wyatt Hesemeyer at True North Tattoo in Felton, CA
43. Owl holding my family crest by Josh Stono at Revolt Tattoos in Vegas
42. My first tattoo in loving memory of my mother Robin. By Kelsey @ 1025 tattoo Rossland, BC
41. Inspired by my favorite sound in nature. My best friend since fourth grade made the initial design and artist collaborated. Done by Terry Warn of Change of Tide in Dallas, Tx
40. Vibrant swallow by tim pangburn at art machine productions in philly, PA
39. Done by haley at cloven in columbus oh, it’s my baby <3
38. Baby’s first tattoo: Crow in crescent moon by the awesome Rizza @ Forevermore Tattoo studio in Glasgow
37. My first tattoo!! Inspired by one of Frida Kahlo’s self portraits. Done by Natalia Marin at Ocho Placas (Miami, FL)
36. Had these designs made for me back in 2013, its been 6 years and i finally got the chance to get them done! Big thanks to the amazing artist William Lloyd at Nite Owl Tattoo in Oak Harbor, WA. And thanks to Jakub Vanis for sketching these up for me!
35. My first tattoo, a bee eater on acacia twig on forearm. A month healed except for a few touch up spots. Done by Alisha at Grit n glory
34. Morepork (a native New Zealand owl) | Haley Hagerman | Cloven Tattoo in Columbus, OH
33. Color bird tattoo by me (Max LaCroix) from Empire Inks Studio in Appleton, WI
32. Got one of Brian Serway’s paintings as a tattoo (with his permission): Done by Biex at Timeless Tattoo studio in Oslo, Norway
31. Nate Reel at Patriot Tattoo in Farfax Virginia did this piece on honor of the album For Those Who Have Heart by A Day To Remember
30. Finally got my first! Done by Natasha Bertram in Chicago.
29. Blue Jay in Geometric Design by Doug Fortin at Iron Eel Tattoo in Collinsville, CT
28. Hummingbird and the moon phase on the night my daughter was born. Done by Sid Cout at Black and Blue Tattoo in San Francisco.
27. Traditional eagle done by Mike prior at Lady Luck Tattoo in Langley, BC, Canada
26. One more session to go. Tattoo by Karan Sarin at Old Rules in Leuven (Belgium).
25. First banger by George Campise at Warhorse Tattoo is Berkeley, CA
24. Floral hummingbird, done by Carrie at 920 Tattoo in Oshkosh, WI
23. Just got my quail from Opie at Bee Ink in Minneapolis, MN!
22. On the 18th anniversary of 9/11 I’d like to share my memorial. Kevin Soto 12Oz studios Deptford New Jersey
21. New henna owl tattoo by The Rev, Mystic Images, Indianapolis Indiana
20. My first tattoo done back in February by Kevin from Indigo Soulmates, let me know what you think 🙂
19. My first, watercolor Cardinal by Abby at Jackson Street Tattoo Company, Seattle
18. The start of what will be my Norse Mythology sleeve by Carolina Annis, No shop atm, Petersburg VA
17. Eagle and Ship done by Alex at Sac City Tattoo Sacramento, CA
16. Ruru/Morepork owl – Done by Mario Gregor at The Gallery, Wellington NZ
15. Owl tattoo by Genesis at Karma Tattoo – Glendale, AZ
14. Ukrainian Ironbelly by Rhiannon at Magik Dragon in Gainesville, GA
13. Harris Hawk, by Matt Stines at No Regrets Tattoos in Champaign, IL.
12. Mandarin Duck, by Matt, at Valhalla Tattoos in Southern Pines, NC, to commemorate my trip to Japan and finding out they also live in NC
11. Diving Duck for my first tattoo!! By Lorin Devine @ East River Tattoo (Brooklyn, NY)
10. Traditional Japanese Crane done by Levi Polzin at Thunderbird Tattoo
09. Red macaw tattoo by Nerick Eduardo in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
08. My Great-horned owl by Brenna Rose of Tophat Art Collective in Bakersfield, CA
07. Animal Totem Tattoo by Adam Sky, Hold Fast Studio, Redwood City, Bay Area, California
06. My first completed tattoo @ no woes tattoo studio in Nottingham by Katie
05. Got this Spix’s Macaw done by Freddie Albrighton at Seven foxes tattoo in Birmingham, UK.
04. Fresh blackwork tattoo done by Costarican , JaviCastillo in Panama city
03. (Older Piece) My Vulture done by Carlos Gonzalez @ black tooth tattoo Akron, OH
02. My first tattoo: Phoenix by Colin at Savage Tattoo in Ogden